So what if you’re one of the people who haven’t yet achieved the nirvana of your own boutique size walk in closet?
How do you get all of your stuff inside and organized so you can find it when you need it?
Start with these tried and true organizing tips:
1) Start by taking everything out. Some items will go in the trash or Goodwill pile immediately. Trust me – you’ll find things you don’t even remember having, along with some that you’ve been looking for a very long time.
2) Evaluate with honesty and discipline. Look at each item and give it a rating
from 1-10. Ten means you love it and wear it often with confidence and joy. Anything below a 7 should no longer have a home in your closet. It’s not doing you any favors and not serving your current lifestyle and goals.
3) When you’re doing this evaluating – ask yourself how you want people to perceive you TODAY – in current time. Are you looking to get promoted? Are you looking for love? Pick three to five adjectives that you resonate with and make sure each item you keep honors and conveys these characteristics.
4) Put the pieces that have sentimental value in a box – and then store that box somewhere besides the main closet you use to get dressed.
5) Apply the 80-20 rule. We really do wear 20% of our clothing 80% of the time. If you have things you just can’t bear to let go of – move them to the back of another closet or storage space. If another 6 months or year goes by and you still have worn them – let them go without even re-evaluating. Trust that they have served their purpose.
6) Make another pile for anything that needs to be tailored, sewn or mended and write down what needs to be done to fix the piece. Then take them to the seamstress at the dry cleaners or your tailor – within 72 hours – and get the problems fixed so you can move forward and wear them with confidence.
7) Now start putting things back into your closet. The things you use the most should be the easiest to access. The goal is to be able to open (and close) the closet door – access what you need – and move on with your day.
Good luck and happy organizing!
And if you need to add some structure to your closet – set up an appointment with one of our fabulous design team members. They can double your storage capacity in no time flat and make your newly organized life so much easier to live.